I like to top cream cheese-frosted cakes with white pearl nonpareils for extra flash.
Whether you’re making a red velvet cake or a carrot cake, this cream cheese frosting makes the perfect topping for it.
- One 8 oz. brick of cream cheese, softened.
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened.
- 4 t of milk (I use 1% milk but any kind will do.)
- 1 t vanilla
- 4 cups of confectioners sugar
- Mix the first four ingredients in a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer at a medium speed.
- Reducer mixer speed to low and add one cup of sugar at a time until blended.
- Spread on your cake of choice and enjoy!
We have a traditional 4th of July gathering every year at my house and, ever since I was young, my aunt used to make a flag cake. Now, I’m the one making it because some traditions are too tasty to forget!
Since it’s a double layer rectangular cake, I like to make a jelly roll thin-style cake and a simple whip cream filling and icing. Feeling ambitious? Follow the jelly roll recipe two times to make a double layer. You will also need a 15.5 x .5 x 10.5” jelly roll pan (a baking sheet with rims.)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c sugar
- 5T water
- 1t vanilla
- 1c flour
- 1t baking powder
- ¼ t salt
These cake filling recipes are useful when you’re deciding your options for flag cake, but, of course, you can incorporate them into other sweet recipes, too. Or, you know, just forget the cake and eat your finished product with a spoon — I won’t judge, lol!
Chocolate Whipped Cream Filling
- 1.5 c heavy cream
- 3 T unsweetened cocoa
- 2T sugar
Place cream in chilled bowl. Beat until cream begins to thicken. Gradually beat in cocoa and sugar until stiff