I decided to try making my own almond milk when I did the Whole30 challenge. With this challenge, dairy is not permitted and the almond milk sold in stores has a lot of ingredients I could not pronounce (which is also not permitted during the Whole30 challenge.)
It turned out to be simpler than I imagined and I got the additional bonus of almond meal so nothing went to waste.
- 1 cup of whole raw almonds
- Water for soaking the almonds
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 t vanilla and/or cocoa for flavor (optional)
Equipment alert! You will also need a cheesecloth and a high powered blender.
- Place the almonds in a bowl and cover them with water.
- Soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drain and discard the water
- Add the almonds and the filtered water to the blender and blend until no almond chunks remain.
- Place the cheesecloth over a sieve/fine meshed colander and place the colander over a large bowl.
- Pour the almond/water mixture into the cheese cloth.
- Squeeze the cheesecloth to get as much of the liquid into the bowl. (What remains in the cheese cloth is the almond pulp — save that for the Almond Meal recipe below!)
- Stir in the vanilla or cocoa if desired.
- Store the milk in an air tight container (I use a large mason jar) for ~3 days.