One of my family’s favorite weeknight dinner is Taco Tuesday. Sometimes I used ground turkey or chicken and sometimes I switch it up with ground beef (pictured).
While on the Whole 30, I couldn’t use the tortilla wrap, chips or cheese. Additionally, several of the salsas I’ve seen included sugar. I decided to make my own salsa and serve with tostones (plantain chips). I also used red bell pepper cups in place of the tortilla. Next time I may toss the pepper and just eat the beef with the plantain chip, avocado and salsa as is…so good.
Tip: Reuse glass spice jars and make your own taco seasoning (see recipe below). Not only will you save money by not buying the taco flavor packets but you will know all the ingredients in it.
Taco Beef or Chicken
- 1T evoo (enough to lightly grease the pan
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped (optional)
- 2-3 lbs of ground beef, chicken or turkey (I use 3 lbs so we have leftovers repurposed or as is)
- 3-4T Taco seasoning (see below) – use enough to sprinkle evenly over all the meat
- 14oz can diced tomatoes (for an extra kick, use the diced tomatoes with chilies)
- In a large skillet on med heat, add evoo, onions (if using) and garlic (1 min)
- Add ground beef or meat of choice to the skillet
- Sprinkle seasoning over meat and stir in, breaking up meat as it cooks
- Once the meat has browned, add tomatoes and cook until the majority of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally
- Remove from heat and serve
Put the following ingredients in a blender and adjust to taste:
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis
- 1/4c – 1/2c fresh cilantro
- 1/4 large red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3/4 lime, juiced
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1t sea salt
- 1/4 t black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 t cumin
This makes a lot of salsa! Next time, I may try making it with 1 less can of tomatoes based on the number of people. I might also try adding some pineapple in place of sugar.
Note: this makes more seasoning that needed for this recipe. Use an empty spice jar or a small container to store the rest for future use.
- 2.5T chili powder
- 1.5T sea salt
- 1.5T cumin
- 1T dried oregano (Mexican oregano preferred)
- 1T paprika
- 2t onion powder
- 2t ground coriander
- 1t garlic powder
- 1/2t black pepper
- (Optional) 1-3t cayenne (I will only add a dash or omit all together for the kids)