I have had the hardest time trying to find a whole 30 compliant breakfast sausage, so I decided to try making my own (and I promise, it couldn’t have been easier).
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1t salt
- 1t garlic powder
- 1t dried ground sage
- 1/2t ground black pepper
- 1/2t sweet paprika
- 1/2t smoked paprika
- 1/2t onion powder
- extra virgin olive oil for cooking
- Mix all the ingredients (except the evoo) in a bowl until all of the seasoning is incorporated into the pork
- Heat a cast iron skillet on low and once hot, add the evoo
- Form the meat mixture into ~8-9 patties
- Add the patties to the hot skillet (may need to do this in batches of 4-5)
- Once heated midway through and browned, flip the patties (approximately 5 min) and brown the other side until done (160F is recommended when using ground pork)
- Remove the patties from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined dish to absorb some of the oil
Enjoy with some eggs and avocado or refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can also freeze these if you make a big batch.
Optional variations: 1/2t fennel, 1/4c finely chopped apple, or even a little maple syrup would be tasty (assuming you are not making these during your whole 30).