One of my favorite dishes at the Cheesecake factory is their Chicken Madeira. I decided to recreate it at home and the result turned into a family favorite.
Please note that I generally eyeball these ingredients and this is a very forgiving recipe so feel free to adjust to taste.
- 2T butter (divided into four pieces)
- 2 – 8oz containers of mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 small onion (optional – I usually omit)
- 1 bunch thin asparagus (loosely chopped)
- 10 skinless/boneless chicken cutlets (medium thickness)
- 1/2c AP flour
- 2-3 T garlic powder
- 1/2 t cumin
- 2-3 t turmeric (or paprika or any other seasonings you enjoy)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 c chicken or beef stock
- 1 c Madeira wine
- 1/2 c to 1c Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- In a large oven proof skillet on medium heat, add a quarter of your butter and coat the skillet
- Add the mushrooms (and onions if using) and saute for 2 min and then add the asparagus to the mushrooms.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and stir frequently until desired texture is achieved (~5-8 min)
- Remove the mushrooms and asparagus from the skillet and reserve any residual liquid in a separate glass bowl (the bowl should be big enough to accommodate more liquid later)
- In a large plastic bag (or in a bowl), combine the flour, garlic powder, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Once the seasonings are blended, add the chicken and thoroughly coat
- Add an additional quarter of butter to your skillet and add the chicken (I was able to fit 5 pieces) lightly browning on both sides (2-3 min each side)
- Remove chicken and place in an oven proof baking dish with high sides or leave in the pan and add 1/4-1/2c of your Madeira wine (coat the pan) and bring to a boil.
- Once the chicken is removed from the pan, add half of your stock, bring to a boil and scrape the pan.
- Pour pan drippings/liquid into your glass bowl
- Repeat with remaining chicken (starting at step 8) Note: chicken does not need to be fully cooked at this time as it will finish cooking in the oven.
- If there is any remaining liquid, add to glass bowl and turn off the stove
- Put your last quarter of butter in the skillet and place 5 pieces of chicken in that pan and leave the remaining 5 pieces of chicken in your casserole dish
- Top chicken with the asparagus/mushroom mixture and pour liquid evenly overall chicken
- Top with shredded mozzarella and place in oven for 15 min (or until chicken reaches 165 F)