This is one of my favorite braised short ribs recipes. Using a good quality dark beer, like a stout, gives the dish a totally different flavor vs using a lighter beer or red wine. However, any beer or even red wine can be used in place of the beer in the recipe below.
- 5-6 lb lean beef short ribs (on the bone)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 -15 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 12 oz good quality beer
- 1 t dijon mustard
- Add oil to heated skillet (I prefer to use cast iron) set on medium heat
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper and place them in skillet (you may have to work in two batches)
- Sear the short ribs on each side so that each side just browns but doesn’t cook through
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes, beer, and mustard to your slow cooker
- Remove the short ribs from the skillet and add them to the slow cooker
- Add the onions and carrots to the skillet until the onions are tender, stirring as needed
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute
- Add the vegetables to the slow cooker and stir to coat
- Turn the short ribs so that the side with more meat on it faces the bottom
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low and enjoy!
If you do not have a slow cooker, this can also be made using a dutch oven and cooking in the oven for 3 hours at 325 F.
I highly recommend eating these over a side of mashed potatoes. Perfect comfort food!