Omit the cheese to make it Paleo or substitute the chicken with ground beef or ground turkey, if desired.
- 6 bell peppers, left whole with top and seeds removed + 1 pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 8-12oz mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2lb chopped or ground chicken
- olive oil, to coat pan
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T paprika (sweet)
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1/2 c to 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (omit or replace with nutritional yeast to make this meal paleo)
- Preheat oven to 400
- Add oil to skillet placed on med heat
- Add onion, diced pepper, mushrooms, salt and pepper
- Stir until all vegetables are tender and remove them from the pan (place into a separate bowl)
- Place your whole peppers in a deep baking dish
- In the same pan, add the chicken, minced garlic and season with salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder
- Stir continuously (breaking up the chicken and flipping so as not to burn) until chicken is cooked through
- When chicken is cooked, mix in sautéed veggies and turn off the heat
- Note: You may want to mix 1/2 c cheese into the filling prior to stuffing the peppers but I did not do that to make mine paleo)
- Spoon filling into peppers and add any extra filling in between peppers (my kids like the filling without the pepper)
- Top each pepper with cheese (approximately 1/2 c if desired) and cover the dish with foil
- Bake for 30 min (additional time may be needed to heat through if these were previously refrigerated).
Time Saving Tip:
This recipe can be easily prepped the night before to save time. To make the night before, complete all steps except for adding the cheese to the top and baking. Cover with foil and place in the refrigerator.
If you store them in the same dish you plan to bake it in, simply place the whole covered dish into the oven at the same time as turning on the oven to avoid cracking your baking vessel.