This is one recipe where the butter adds a lot of the flavor and I would not suggest substituting oil. For Whole30, ghee would be a better substitute.
If this is part of your main meal, this should be made in the 5-10 minutes just before you are ready to eat.
- 1lb scallops
- Salt and pepper
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 T butter (enough to fully coat your pan)
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle salt and pepper and a little bit of lemon juice on each scallop
- In a large (preferably cast iron) skillet on med-high heat, add/melt butter.
- When butter is melted, add scallops
- When scallops are nicely browned and start to turn opaque turn them over and sear other side.
- Cook until they are browned on the other side and fully cooked (fully opaque). Be sure not to overcook.
Top with chives (if desired).
Also goes nicely with a beurre blanc sauce and lemon asparagus risotto.