- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 t fresh thyme
- 1.5 c Arborio rice
- 3/4 c white wine
- 48 oz chicken or veggie stock
- 2 T butter
- ~ 1 lb asparagus, cleaned, tough ends removed, chopped into small pieces (approx. 1 inch)
- 2T fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 c pecorino-romano cheese
- fresh chives, chopped (optional)
- Place the chicken stock in a small pot and keep flame on low.
- In a separate large skillet (with a fitted lid available) on medium heat, add oil. Once hot, add onion and celery and sauté until tender (approx. 5 min).
- Add salt, pepper, garlic, rice, and thyme and stir constantly for 2-3 min.
- Add wine and stir.
- Once wine is absorbed, turn heat to low, add asparagus and add a little stock (about a ladle full), butter, stir and cover with lid. Watch carefully and stir as needed as rice will stick to pan if all liquid is absorbed. Note: you can add the asparagus later in the cooking process if bright green and not as tender asparagus is preferred or steam separately.
- Every few minutes, add more stock (a ladle full at a time) until all stock has been absorbed and rice is cooked (approximately 30-40 min)
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- Turn off the heat and add cheese and chives (if used).
- Stir until blended and enjoy!