There was a place in New York City that I used to order many “overtime dinners” from because they had healthy and tasty options. Well, though my days of working overtime in the office are long gone, my memory of my overtime dinners remain. This was my interpretation of Macadamia nut-crusted chicken over salad that I had for many a meals. I was happy to report that the whole family loved this one.
This recipe uses my favorite seasonings noted in my seasoned chicken recipe. This recipe is also Paleo, whole30 and gluten-free-friendly.
- 6 Thick Chicken breasts
- 1 egg mixed with 1T water
- 1.5 c macadamia nuts (crushed using food processor or old coffee grinder (coffee grinds cleaned out!))
- ½ to a full cup almond meal (make your own or buy ground almond meal/flour in the store)
- 2T garlic powder
- 1T paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head of romaine lettuce (or mixed greens of choice)
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 c grape tomatoes, halves
- 1 T Balsamic vinegar
- 3 TExtra virgin olive oil
- 1t Dijon mustard
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- Place the egg/water in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, place the nuts, meal and seasonings.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg and then into the nut mixture. (Note: Depending on whether you cut the chicken in half to make it a thin cutlet, you may only have enough nut mixture to coat one side.)
- On a baking sheet covered with nonstick foil or a nonstick mat, place the chicken nut side down.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then flip the chicken over.
- Cook until internal temperature is 165 °F.
- In a small bowl, whisk balsamic vinegar, mustard and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- In large serving bowl combine lettuce, tomatoes, mango, avocado. Top with chicken and serve with dressing.